Monday, May 18, 2009

The shadow on the wall tells me the sun is going down

I want to start by saying that this is not at all meant to be offensive. I do not judge anyone involved in the events to be mentioned and I think that what occurred is absolutely tragic.

Natalee Holloway. Who doesn't know her name? Laci Peterson. Audrey Seiler. I could go on forever. All of these ladies (minus Seiler, who I'm pretty sure kidnapped herself?) were victims of tragic events. Mostly, I'd like to focus on Natalee Holloway.

Young girl goes on trip to Aruba and disappears. Sad. Sixteen months of continuous coverage. Necessary? Maybe. Fair? Absolutely not.

Natalee Holloway got the media coverage she did because she was rich, white, and american. Which demographic has the highest number of missing persons? African American young males.

I can remember one story about missing african american males. Those two little kids in Zion, Illinois. Remember the Runaway Bride? She got coverage for about seven months. The woman kidnapped herself.

Natalee Holloway has a lifetime movie. The news can't even devote five minutes to the countless men reported missing. The lifetime movie is all about the struggles of Holloway's mother and how strong she is. Do other missing persons' mothers somehow miss them less? Struggle less?

I choose not to blame news media. It's the fault of viewers. Why are we so obsessed with people's looks and status' here? Would Holloway have gotten as much coverage if she wasn't pretty? White? Rich? If you argue no, why don't any young men who've grown up in an apartment in south side chicago get coverage?

Again, I am by no means trying to say that the Holloway or any other case isn't tragic, it is. But what the hell justifies its coverage more than that of any missing person in america?

No comments:

Post a Comment